Tuesday, August 13, 2013

TMR Hill Climb

     The Telluride Mountain Run is probably my favorite race. It was not a big race but that might have made it even better. The race directors Reese Ruland and Dakota Jones did an amazing job they went above and beyond my expectations. The cool thing about the race being in Telluride is that its only an hour and a half from my house. The race was 5 miles up the ski area to the top then 5 back down with 4k feet of vertical. It was supposed to be 8 miles, 4 up 4 down but right at the start they changed it. The race starts out steep so I ended up in third place because most people were power hiking. My goal for the race was to keep up with Ellie Greenwood from team Montrail. At first I was in third like I said until mile 4.6. At 4.6 I got passed by 3 people and at 4.75 I got passed by Ellie who I had been ahead of the whole uphill. Then I got to the top at 5 miles in 7th place. I stayed in 7th the rest of the race even through I had to stop a few times to see where to go. This race really helped me learn more about my bodies capabilities because I was able to run pretty much the whole uphill. And I was in third place and ahead of a professional runner on the uphill. Also in the race I got to use my new Salomon S-lab Sense. The shoes worked great for me the entire race so I was really happy with them. In the end I ended up finishing in 7th place and youngest finisher I was at least 12 years younger then everyone else. After the race was also a great experience I got a cheeseburger a TMR pint glass full of coke (everyone else got a pint glass of beer). And once again great job directing by Reese and Dakota. I will be doing this race again next year.

 Photo: Simon with the race directors Dakota and Reese.
From left. Dakota Jones, Simon Kearns (me), Reese Ruland.
This is me with the Race Directors


Photo: How about 7th overall?!?! Wow!
Finishing


Photo: First off the line!
Starting

1 comment: